PROCRASTI-nation. Get it? Procrastination. HAHA! *slaps knee old lady style*
Let’s be honest. We all hate it but we all do it. It is the slow killer of dreams and a major delayer of goals. The whole “put off to tomorrow what you don’t want to do today” thing can be a real drag if you hope to be productive and successful.
Here are some tips to help you pull your train out of procrastination station and into high gear.
- Stop thinking. Start DOING. At some point we have to get out of our heads and up on our feet to actually execute the things we are thinking about. We will contemplate ourselves right into a coma. GET MOVING.
- Don’t blow a task out of proportion. Make sure you are looking at the task for exactly what it is. Not for all it may involve, not for what you had to go through with it last time. Chances are we are adding stuff and making it harder and bigger than it has to be.
- Just take the first step. The journey of a thousand miles started with the action of taking ONE step. Then another. And another. All you have to do is keep taking “one more step” and before you know it you’ll be done.
- Start with the hardest task first. Makes sense. This way tasks get EASIER as the day goes by and you’re more tired versus harder. Because then its absolutely not getting done. No right anyway.
- Just make a decision. ANY decision. And run with it! Hopefully you don’t run the wrong way, but hey at least you’re moving. And you can always take a second and change directions.
- Face your fears. Our fears cause us to hesitate. Sometimes they cause us to downright quit if we are scared enough. Instead of shutting down, man up! The best way to get over a fear is to do what you are afraid of. In business, fear could cause you to leave a lot of money on the table.
- Finish it without stopping or distraction. Now for me personally this one seems virtually impossible. With all the dings, bings, and rings of our electronics, its like a dog the a squirrel pops up. But…if we can see a task through from beginning to end without incident or distraction it’ll be all done and out the way. No having to deal with it later and definitely no pushing it to tomorrow’s already stacked agenda.
This success is not going to achieve itself. We have no time to waste! Get it in gear, make a plan, and tell yourself the procrastination stops right now, right here. There will be no goals left behind on this grind!
– The Ess Word